Search This Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010

Solids??


I am still exclusively breastfeeding Rilynn.  She just turned 7 months old.  She doesn't seem to be in need of anything else right now (no waking up at night or crying after nursing) and I quite like the availability of how she gets her meals now.  I guess I just picture starting solids as a constant cooking, mashing, blending, mixing of all these ingredients Septtro and I aren't eating and it stresses me out...big pain in the hiny.  Although I'm well aware that I'm very good at blowing things way out of proportion.  But then I started to feel guilty because I thought, "I'm holding her back!"  The pediatricians all say start solids at 6 months. But part of me just doesn't get what's so magical about 6 months and solids. I mean, what if they're doing just fine with nursing still?

So then I came across this article: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2010/04/feeding-babies-a-relaxed-common-sense-approach.html 

I think I'm gonna try that....AND, just take one day at a time and see how things go.

3 comments:

jim thompson said...

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!!! Seriously. This makes so much sense. Go girl. You go.

-Sara

The Kauffmans said...

Do whatever works best for you! (you already know that :) ) Since I was unable to keep breast feeding Zachary & he seemed so interested in watching us eat, we started solids (rice cereal) right around 4 months and he has done fine. He loves veggies & fruits now & has not had any problems with digestion or allergies & doesn't take less formula than before or anything like that.
You know as well as I do that doing what is best for you and Ri is the best choice. I know lots of people who didn't start solids until 8 or 9 months, or even later. I wouldn't look at it as holding her back...its not like she seems unhappy with your current plan! :)
It is a little more work to have foods for them but its also true that by 9 months or so they can handle table foods if prepared the right way - sounds like a good choice to me!!

Shawna Steenback said...

Whenever you do start solids, it doesn't have to be stressful at all and you don't have to constantly cook and mash, it's really quite simple and there aren't a lot of ingredients because they only eat pureed fruits and veggies you don't have to add anything at all to them! If you want to make your own baby food when you guys are ready I can tell you how I did it with Emmory. It's really not hard at all and cheaper and better for them than eating out of a jar.