Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Healthy Food and Living


I have a new favorite grocery store: Earth Fare!  As many of you know, I'm very much into couponing and have been able to save a lot of money doing so.  If stores don't take coupons (Aldi) or have a difficult coupon policy (Ingles), I don't shop there.

Recently, I started talking to a few women at my church (one who I told she needs to start a blog bc she's a wealth of great info...but she has 7 kids and no time for that so I decided I'd pass on the info she shares with me) who eat as organically as possible and have found ways to get good deals on healthier food. I mean, who doesn't wanna eat healthy foods? But I always figured it'd break the bank to do so I didn't even try. But after talking with them, I realized eating and living healthier was very doable. It all kinda started for me after Ri had a very common baby girl problem and the doctor prescribed a hormonal cream that was going to cost over $100. I knew there must be another alternative...possibly more natural and definitely cheaper. Turns out, there was - coconut oil!  That stuff is great for a lot of things but I used it for Ri and still use it occasionally at diaper changes instead of the other well-known diaper creams...works great!  I also use it on her thumb since she sucks it so much and it can get kinda raw...just a couple applications and it clears up!

I'm not, by any means, going to refuse to eat or drink anything that's not 100% certified organic or, as one lady so properly put it, "allow organic and natural things to become an idol". But if there are opportunites to eat healthier and live healthier, I'll take them!

If you have an Earth Fare near you, sign up to get their coupons via email - they're awesome...like buy organic ketchup for $1.50 and get 2 free handmade hamburger patties or buy $5 worth of items and get a free fresh pineapple. They're also currently doing a promotion to raid your pantry for unhealthy items and exchange them for healtheir choices for free - even if your item is opened and almost gone!   They also have coupons in the store near the front sometimes. Their website also sometimes has additional coupons available.  Just today, Septtro and I both got a free half wrap, chips, and soup, exchanged 2 bottles of salad dressing, cereal, and peanut butter for organic, and got 8 handmade black and blue hamburgers all for just over $10!   You can print more than one copy of their coupon and have someone else use it (Septtro in my case) or go back to the store again before the sale ends.

Also, if you're interested in healthier living in general on a budget, check out these websites (I haven't been able to look at them all myself yet) :

www.kitchenstewardship.com

www.thenourishinggourmet.com

www.passionatehomemaking.com

www.keeperofthehome.org

One last website that's great for a lot of Mommy questions is (forum-type format): www.welltellme.com

If you are aware of any other ways to eat or live healthier - without breakin the bank - please let me know!

1 comment:

The Kauffmans said...

Im so glad you posted this - I was just thinking that I needed to check into the health food grocery stores in the area to see if they were at all affordable cause I would really like to try to have more organic foods around. Thanks for the info! Just saw that we have an Earthfare downtown. :)