Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sticks and Stones

You know how it goes..."sticks and stones may break my bones but words can/will never hurt me"

What a load of garbage. 

Sure, I recited this as a child.  Hoping, in some way, it would actually come true.  But it never did.  Even now, words hurt.  And in this season of my life, I can be a bit extra sensitive to the words of others.  But that doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't be said.

Pregnancy is amazing!  And I'd like to say I love being pregnant.  I mean, I do.  But I think I have let too many people steal my joy.  For the most part, I have pretty easy pregnancies.  Of course I have times where I feel badly and only want to stay in bed but overall, I do fairly well physically considering what others go through.

But then people make comments.  And it hurts.  And I know they don't mean to.  But it doesn't change the fact that it still hurts.  And then I become self-conscious.  And then I'm not proud of my body as it changes to accomodate and give life to another. I carry big.  And I have big babies.  That's just the genetic hand I was given.

I stumbled across a book at Barnes and Noble and found this:

She may not have worded it quite like I would have, but I could totally relate.

Allow me to let you in on a little secret: women (most I know anyway) are already pretty self-conscious about their body.  And when things start happening that we have very little control over while pregnant, it can become a bit overwhelming.  

So here's a word of advice: if you wouldn't make the same comment to a non-pregnant woman, then don't say it to a pregnant woman!  

And in the mean time, I'll try to do better at being more proud of my body that is growing new life and less concerned about what others think about me or my pregnant body.  

18 week belly

3 comments:

Joy@WDDCH said...

Aw, I'm so sorry! I get comments, too. I'm short and I carry big as well. I need one of those shirts that says "Yes I'm big, yes there's only one, no we don't know the gender, please don't touch". LOL! I'm SO hormonal and tired so I really don't like people messing with me right now.

Molly said...

Aw Susan I think you look great! People are crazy. :-/

Nikki said...

You are right! But you look great!!