Search This Blog

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Mommy Guilt

You know how, no matter what you do accomplish, there's always a tendency to feel guilty over what didn't get done during the day?  

I had this genius idea to go around the house very briefly during nap time the other day and take pictures of what I had done already that day; no matter how small it may seem.  Surely, after doing this, I'd be encouraged as I was likely unaware of the many small tasks I had completed.

I got a load of dirty clothes into the washing machine.  I had kept the kitchen counters fairly clean and decluttered.  Our bed was made.  And I showered AND straightened my hair.  
That's in addition to caring for the emotional and physical needs of three children during the day.  

I should feel accomplished.  And I did.  For moment I felt at peace with not feeling obligated to do anything else that day except enjoy my children as much as possible.  

Then...it came creeping up again.  That mommy guilt.

I managed to get more clothes in the washing machine but I still hadn't folded that basket of laundry in the living room.  The counter was cleared off but the dirty dishes were still in the sink.  My bed was made but our bedroom furniture was covered in dust.  And I'd showered and straightened my hair but when was the last time I'd plucked those caterpillar eyebrows?? And seriously, when is the last time you put on deodorant?  Don't you smell yourself??

I cannot catch up.  It will never end.  I will always have something else that needs to be done.

These thoughts of guilt - this mommy guilt - it's not from the Lord.  


 So what's this purpose the Lord has for me then?  

To embrace this...


And this..

And be ok with this.  


 It's not easy.  And I don't think it's natural for most moms.  I'm still learning how.  
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. - 2 Cor 12:9
I need to be mindful of those times when mommy guilt creeps in.  If I am not diligent and purposeful about refocusing to my ultimate purpose, I will become overwhelmed very quickly.   

I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.
 
Refrain
I need Thee, O I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.
 
I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their power when Thou art nigh.

Oh, and just in case your weary soul needs this too - whether due to your job, family, finances  or that dreaded mommy guilt - take a few minutes..close your eyes.  And just listen to this song:

And now I think I'll lie down and nap beside my almost-9 week old baby girl...even though the dishes aren't done and there's wet laundry in the washing machine and my bed isn't made.  :)  

But I *did* remember to put on deodorant today!

No comments: