Search This Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2018

An early surprise - Josie's birth story

Well it's been a while since I've last blogged. Funny how my last post was about the uncertainty of having another baby.  Obviously, I was open to having more after my fourth.  And now I can't really imagine life without her.  Here's her story:

We had just moved into our new house a week and a half prior.  I had two appointments on Tuesday, May 29th - chiropractor appointment (which I've never done during pregnancy before but found out my insurance would cover 6 visits) and my midwife appointment.  Both went well.  At the chiropractor, he did some pressure points for the first time.  I was still 9 days away from my estimated due date - which I have always gone past previously - so I wasn't too hopeful. The midwife appointment went well.  I was measuring much larger that week but that wasn't too abnormal for me either.

On the way home, I mentioned to Septtro that maybe we should go out that evening.  His brother was in town and it may be one of the last chances we got.  But we didn't end up going out - I figured we would have a few other nights to choose from.

Early Wednesday morning (around 2am) May 30th, I woke up feeling like I was leaking fluid.  I rushed to the bathroom, and, sure enough, my water had broken.  This happened with my second baby and labor got pretty intense very quickly so that's what I expected.  We called the midwife and she told us to try to rest and call if nothing had picked up after 12 hours.  I didn't think I'd be able to rest because of my previous experience with my water breaking.  Plus, I was sort of in shock as neither of us expected her to come this early. Septtro started packing both of our hospital bags.  We got some towels and water proof pads on the bed and laid down.  I sent my mom a text instead of calling since it was ok if she didn't come right away.  I also sent a few other friends a text knowing they may not see it right away but would later on.

A couple hours passed and nothing was really happening - except for me leaking more fluid.  After a while, Septtro and I both dozed off for a bit.  I sent my mom another update around 5am telling her to come whenever she was able to.  She arrived at the house a bit after 6am.

I was able to communicate to a couple friends to take my older girls.  My mom was planning to come to the birth this time so we had to find alternative child care for the others.  We split them up - Eliza (the two year old) went with one friend while the others could go with another.  I had invited my older two girls to come to the birth as well.  At first they both said no but then Kaylee said she wanted to be there. I figured when her friend's mom came to pick up her sisters, she would change her mind.  But to my surprise, she didn't.  

At one point, my mom took my girls back to her house and did their hair and changed her shirt since things weren't progressing very quickly.  My brother in law went out to run some errands.  I cannot remember where Septtro was.  But I was alone in my room just briefly. I began thinking about Eliza being gone and became a bit emotional.  I somehow just felt very alone and then I suppose mourned my youngest child's last few hours as the baby.  I wondered how she was doing - what she was doing - and nervous about what she would do when she realized what had happened while she was gone.

I noticed my contractions would pick up if I stood up and moved around.  Around 11am they were starting to pick up a bit. We called the midwife again and she said go to ahead and walk around.  I wasn't quite sure how to do that when my water was still leaking every now and then.  So Septtro grabbed his lavalava and I put on bathing suit bottoms and we headed outside.

We walked up and down our road.  I was walking very slowly as contractions began to really pick up at that point.  I asked my mom to get Kaylee some lunch as Septtro and I talked about whether or not to leave for the hospital.  I was afraid of waiting too long as my birth start to finish with my last baby was only four hours.  And I planned to use the tub again and have a water birth so I knew that would be helpful to deal with the pain. A bit after noon, we left for the hospital. (FYI - he's timing my contractions in the pictures, not playing on his phone) :)





When we got to the hospital, we went to triage and met the midwife.  My mom came in soon after as well as my good friend, Dana. Things were still fairly tolerable at that point.  

The midwife came in to test to be sure it was my water that had broken. I knew for sure it was - but I know they have to be sure as well.  She confirmed it and said I was about 3 cm - which I was prepared to hear since I knew with my other broken water labor, things seem more intense at times when they're not because that cushion of water is no longer there.  My last two labors, I was 8 cm by the time I was at the hospital so I began giving myself a pep talk about how long it would take before I could meet my new daughter.  :)  

I was told I wouldn't be taken to a tub room yet because I wasn't too far dilated.  I didn't think  too much of that.  So we got to the room and they wanted 20 minutes of monitoring the baby's heart rate and my contractions before they would let me get up and move around.  This wasn't new as I'd done it with my previous two labors (I was with the same provider for my previous two girls births).  

Septtro began writing a list of girl names on the whiteboard in the room as my labor, especially when I was laying down in the bed, still wasn't too difficult.  I had just told a friend the night before that we went to the hospital without a name for our second daughter and we thought of one an hour before we were discharged and I didn't want to do that again.  :)  I was having a fair amount of contractions at that point but could manage them fairly well.  

Soon, I realized I'd been in the bed a while.  I asked about when I could get up.  The nurse told me they just needed to see something specific from the baby and as soon as they did, I could get out of the bed to labor.  I'm not certain, but I think I was in that bed over an hour trying to get them their textbook readings.  They finally decided to let me stand right by the bed but when I did, they would lose the heart rate on the baby.  At one point, it read around 99 and the midwife kind of had a freak out moment. She called the attending physician, who didn't seem too concerned once she got there.  Likely, the monitor was picking up my heart rate and not the baby's.  Those round, hard, plastic monitors are certainly not meant for women with big, round bellies - much less women who get up and move around during labor.

I was asked to lie back down on the bed so the midwife could get a more continuous read on the heart rate.  Every time they picked it up, it was around 140 which is fine - but I could tell she was extremely focused on having it at all times.  I think because it read 99 at one point, she just couldn't get it out of her head that it could have been a decel with the baby.  **If I wasn't a vbac, continuous monitoring wouldn't have been required...even though I'd already had three previous successful abacus without issue but that's a whole other post...haha!**

At one point, I looked up and noticed I'd been hooked up to continuous IV fluids - something I'd specifically asked to avoid in my birth plan.  Apparently, they had done that without even telling me when they saw the heart rate at 99 (which, again, was probably mine and not the baby's).  I was not pleased and asked for the to disconnect me immediately but it took a little longer before they actually did.

They still hadn't gotten their 20 minutes of monitoring the way they desired.  They said they needed to see the baby's heart rate go up and back down twice in 20 minutes with a contraction.  My baby's had done it just once so that wasn't good enough. They let me labor a bit standing up with Septtro - he mentioned walking the halls but I preferred not to have that big of an audience so we stayed in the room.

I asked about getting in the tub.  I knew they wouldn't let you until you were in more active labor as it can slow down progress.  The midwife basically told me she could check me, but even if I was further along in labor, I would not be getting a tub because my baby didn't "pass" the 20 minute monitoring.  I was super annoyed to hear that.  And honestly, they had trouble getting that when I was in labor with Eliza, but I was allowed in the tub (different midwife - perhaps that was the difference). Those monitors were in and out with the baby's heart rate with my labor with Logann too but it was never made out to be a huge issue like it was for this labor.

I was told I could labor in the shower so I did.  The midwife was still very concerned about getting continuous heart tones on the baby.  I sat on the exercise ball in the hot shower and it felt really good and I was trying to work through my contractions!  Yet, there was the midwife hovering over me, pressing the monitor on my lower belly while my friend Dana ran over to let her know what the heart rate was...it was just ridiculous.  The midwife then told me she hadn't gotten heart tones for a few minutes so she needed me to go back to the bed and lie down again.  If I had been in my right mind, I would have told her no.  But no laboring woman is in their right mind.  :)  

So I made my way back to the bed.  I can remember the intensity picking up a lot and all I could do while lying on the bed to help relieve the pain was constantly move my legs.  Septtro was by my side the entire time, helping me stay in control of my breathing and not tensing up.  The midwife was also right there, once again, pressing the monitor against my belly.  I was able to get out "stop pushing" to her because it was so uncomfortable but all she heard was "pushing" so she started getting everything ready.  And as soon as I was able again, I said loudly "no, you! stop pushing!" She and the nurses sort of laughed a bit but it didn't really stop her.

My tone started to change with contractions.  It was beginning to be extremely difficult for me to feel like I could manage them.  I can remember saying, once again "I can't do this! I don't want to do this anymore!" and even before I said the words, I KNEW what that meant.  I was SO close.  But I said it anyway because it just felt like maybe I'd be the only woman on the planet to labor for eternity.  I remember the midwife saying that was a really good sign.  And I remember one of the nurses getting really close to me and telling me how great that was. 

Septtro picked up on my changed tone during contractions and they asked me if I felt like I needed to push.  I wasn't sure.  With my last two babies, I was never checked again after triage.  I just naturally started pushing.  I think this time, I just didn't feel as in control of how things were going so I wasn't paying as close attention to my body. Septtro insisted they check me and I didn't mind.  I was 10 cm. I think I asked again, just to be sure I heard them correctly.  I'm not sure I believed I was almost at the finish line. I naturally turned myself on my left side and pushed with the next contraction.  It felt way better (just as it did with my last labor I had with ruptured membranes)! The contractions were essentially right on top of one another now.  Every time I would feel anything, I would push.  I can remember Septtro reminding me to stay in control because I guess it may have seemed like I was just a big rush to get the baby out, but it was just my contractions were coming that quickly.  This time, I don't remember feeling that "ring of fire" as the baby begins to crown.  I think I pushed just a couple times and her head was almost out. Somebody soon said, "oh her hand is by her head!" - which would explain why I felt so many different movements down lower and had fears she was breech at one point. 

In no time, I heard someone say "Susan grab your baby. Grab your baby" and I reached down and pulled her the rest of the way out and up to my chest. I immediately began crying.  All of the pain was gone and she was in my arms.  I did it!  We did it!! I then asked for a hair bow as none of my other girls got that hospital hat with a built in hair bow.  Certainly, I deserved one with my fifth girl.  :) The nurses were really nice and got one for her very quickly.




I wasn't really in the mood for posed pictures and I think you can tell by some of them.  Haha! I hope Kaylee always remembers that day she was there for her sister's birth.  I think it's really special she was able to do that. And I'm so thankful to Septtro for agreeing to have my mom and my friend to be there too.  It's such an honor to be able to invite someone to witness the miracle of birth and I'm so glad they wanted to be there with us!




We talked about her name and cut it close again, shortly before being discharged.  But I think it suits her well: Josie Mailelagi Sene.  Welcome to our family baby girl.  You are SO loved!!!



No comments: